The Career Academy South Bend Band and Orchestra program has experienced tremendous growth, not only in regards to the number of participants in the program but also with what Success and Career Academy have to offer. Both band and orchestra are offered in grades 5-12. In 5th and 6th grade, students can be a part of beginning band and beginning orchestra.
Ensembles offered at Career Academy include 7th grade Concert Band, 8-12th grade Symphonic Band, Jazz Band and String Orchestra. Students are also encouraged to join our Tri-M Music Honor Society chapter!
Performance opportunities through the year include:
- Three concerts a year - October, December, and May.
- ISSMA Solo & Ensemble competition- earn a medal!
- Audition to be a part of the Indiana Band Master's all-region or all-district bands.
- Perform at functions such as school assemblies and celebrations.
- Join the pep band and have fun playing at games and support your team!
Instrumental music students also have the opportunity to work with guest artists and clinicians through-out the year and receive information about joining area youth ensembles or participating in summer music programs around Michiana.
Students DO NOT need previous instrumental experience to join our ensembles. We welcome any student who has played previously at another school or who is interesting in joining for the first time, no mater how old they are. With a unique inclusive team-teaching environment, student led sectionals and section leaders, all students will thrive in the instrumental music program at Career Academy!
Instrumental Music Program Goals
Through the medium of instrumental performance, we will provide opportunities for students to:
- achieve an appreciation of music as an art form
- achieve technical proficiency on an instrument of choice
- demonstrate knowledge of rhythm, pitch, tone, intonation and structure of music
- develop overall musicianship and creativity
- develop skills in performance preparation and etiquette
- develop skills necessary to succeed as a member of a large team
- social skills
- accept constructive criticism & making a commitment
While learning music, we are also learning how to:
- Set & reach goals
- Build new friendships
- Love music for a lifetime
- Appreciate art of all kinds
- Celebrate our achievements!
- View the Program Handbook
About the Director
Mrs. Brown was a band director in Illinois prior to moving to Indiana. In addition to directing band, she was also a free-lance musician, maintained a private bassoon studio, and was a coach and assistant director for the Chicago Youth Symphony Orchestra. She has a Master’s Degree in Bassoon Performance from Northwestern University and a Master’s Degree in Music Education from Northern Illinois University.
Mrs. Brown was hired in 2015 to be the Director of Instrumental Music at Career Academy South Bend. In addition to her teaching at Career Academy, Mrs. Brown also works occasionally with the South Bend Youth Symphony Orchestra, leads sectionals for area music events and plays her bassoon when possible. Mrs. Brown spends her time outside of school grilling and enjoying time outdoors with her husband and son.