Welcome to the home page for Career Academy's Instrumental Music Department! Whether you are a current student or parent looking for information, or a prospective family interested in attending Career Academy, we are happy your are visting our page.
The Career Academy Band and Orchestra program has experienced tremendous growth over the past few years. With over 150 students involved in band, orchestra (or both!), music is rehearsed, performed, talked about, studied and celebrated all day! Career Academy proudly offers 4 concert bands, 2 string ensembles, jazz band, pep band, and provides other opportunities for students to perform outside of school through organizational contests and other events. We also have an active Tri-M National Music Honor Society Chapter, are proud to be designated a Conn- Selmer School and regularly host guest clinicians to work with our ensembles and students.
We are a Conn-Selmer School!
Conn-Selmer is proud to be the largest music instrument manufacturer remaining in the USA, coincidentally located in Elkhart. Their world famous hand-crafted brands are recognized around the globe. They provide an array of student and professional instruments, embracing every facet of the band and orchestra family, from woodwinds and brass to strings and percussion. The Conn-Selmer Division of Education is dedicated to providing resources for music educators worldwide and we are very fortunate to be able to partner with them!
In 2017, we were awarded the SupportMusic Merit Award through the NAMM foundation! This designation was received based upon administrative support, student hard work and achievement and a dedication to providing a passionate, quality music education to the music students at Career Academy.
Students DO NOT need previous instrumental experience to join our ensembles. We welcome any student who has played previously at another school or who is interesting in joining for the first time, no mater how old they are. With a unique inclusive team-teaching environment, student led sectionals and section leaders, all students will thrive in the instrumental music program at Career Academy!
- 6th Grade Cadet Band
- 7th Grade Concert Band I
- 8th Grade Concert Band II
- 9-12th Grade Symphonic Band
- Middle School Intermediate Strings
- High School Advanced Strings
- Jazz Band
- Open to high school students; by audition only
Student's in grades 8-12 can join pep band! Play at home games for both girl's and boy's basketball or celebrate during school pep rally's! Music is learned and rehearsed during class time. The schedule for basketball games will be passed out in the fall.
Tri-M: National Music Honor Society
We are proud to represent the National Association for Music Educator's through chapter #7704 of the Tri-M National Music Honor Society. Please visit our chapter website at www.careeracademysbtri-m.weebly.com
Organizational Events, Contests and Performance Opportunities
Our students have several opportunities to perform in organizational events and other contests throughout the year.
- Band students can audition to perform in the All-Region or All-State Band through the Indiana Bandmaster’s Association.
- All music students can participate in the ISSMA (Indiana State School Music Association) Solo & Ensemble Contest.
- Symphonic Band will perform at the Cedar Point Music Festival and enjoy a fun day in the park!
- Several of our students perform with the South Bend Youth Symphony. There are other ensembles in the Michiana Area and in St. Joseph County for students to join, attend concerts, etc.
- Guest speakers and professional players are also brought it to provide clinics and performances for our students.
For more information, contact Mrs. Brown at email@example.com or 574-299-9800